Sunday, October 14, 2007

Yarn Con !

This weekend I went and worked at Yarn Con - a 'yarn convention' for Chicagoans. It was so great! I met so many wonderful people and saw so many cool things. I was there early to set up a table for Sister Arts Studio, and was right as you walked in the door. Donna had me bring a little smattering of a bunch of the yarns in the store and it was nice to have the variety. Christina joined me about halfway through the day (she was the creator of all the cute little critters on the table), and I was able to dash around to see all the vendors and get something to eat. I wish I had my camera with me, so I could show pictures, but alas, websites will have to do.

My top three favorites were Pattern Tamers magnetic place holders, to keep track of where you are in a pattern. - I've heard of these before, but I really like her design - they magnetically wrap around the paper so you don't lose your place, or the placeholder! I couldn't find her on the web though :( does anyone know where she sells her tamers?

Then I was amazed by the pictures created by Mary Hoyer of RikiWeave. My table was directly across from hers, so I got to look at the pretty pictures all day! I just loved the colors and textures and designs. Way out of my price range, but someday!! someday I'll be able to afford such things :) Sedona Sandscape was my favorite.

And on my way in, I chatted with another Donna from My Small Wonders who had some really pretty yarns and was wearing a beautiful shall! I didn't look too hard at her yarns because I didn't want to have to resist buying anything. The quicker I walked around, the less tempted I was to buy things ;) But I did grab cards for gifts for my birthday and the holidays!

Other things I had to resist were some beautiful bags from Piddleloop, but I do love the needle case I already have - of course... hers would be great for small sock projects...and the felted earrings from Biggie - they made me laugh, they were cute! The ones on her website don't do them justice. And I want the Knitting America book by Susan Strawn too. OK, okay, I know that's more than 3 but there were just too many cool things to look at!

I also got to see Franklin again for his 1000 Knitters project - he almost has 200 people!! He of course didn't forget his camera, and told me I looked like a 'rock star' - I felt all special :) And I met a bunch of people that I had chatted with on Ravelry - it was neat to see them in person :) One of them even lives near me in Homewood, and I think she's going to join us for knit-nite way way down here on the south side. I hope some of the others will be there on Thursday night for the one at Sister Arts.

Overall - great people, great event, great time! I think it would be nice if it was more than just once a year. the thing I liked most about it was that they were Chicago people. Stitches was cool and you got to see really neat things, and meet people from everywhere, but this was local, and I think it gave it a better - more 'close-knit' vibe!

No comments: