Saturday, December 29, 2007


It has been a crazy whirl-wind of activities for Mike and I over the holidays, and although there were 3 computers in about 1000 sq feet of space, there was not enough time to blog while keeping up with the Tamburro holiday extravaganza.

I did manage to email myself a few words here and there to recount later, and I'll be posting some of them here and there as I go. The biggest problem with not bringing my own computer with me, was a lack of access to pictures I took before I left, and not being able to upload the ones I took while there. So for now, I'll be blogging sans pictures for a bit.

We started our holiday with a trip from Charleston to Louisville. The drive wasn't bad, and we spend a couple of days in the 'ville. I spent most of the time in my MIL's sewing room finishing up what I called The Gift for most of the vacation.

Right before I left, I tried to post the following post, but didn't have time to pull it all together. Perhaps I should start there:

Dec. 12th:

As the holidays quickly approach, I'm feverishly working on all my handmade gifts. I'm not sure if I'll get them all done in time, but one of them I can't work on in transit, so it gets first priority. I've spent the past 3 days as well as today working on it. Here are a few photos to tease you a bit.

It's not perfect yet, but for a first go at it I'm pretty impressed with myself. Just don't ask me what it took to get to this point! I will say that it's really tedious to sew on a machine when it's sitting on the ground. Not to mention that it's is my mothers machine (making the project all the more nostalgic), a 1930's Singer that only has one direction. Be that as it may, that doesn't mean it can't have it's fair share of tension problems, or bobbin issues or any other quirks that come up when someone with little experience is working on it. But a few short prayers and a bit of a hissy-fit later, and we're getting along just fine now.

I also picked up a few balls of yarn that will hopefully fulfill what was missing from my stash. They'll be my primary travel projects. A ball of this, which is going to be a present for one of my SIL's, and a couple balls of this, which if done in time will be a present for my brother. Plus, I am bringing the sweater to see if I can finish it up while I'm there. We'll see what I get accomplished by the end of the trip. Keep tuned in to see...

~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~

The Debbie Bliss yarn turned into a great pair of fetchings, and my SIL loved the color. They went really quickly (especially since I had already tried to make them twice in different yarns that really didn't work). I finished one on the drive to KY, and the other on the plane to San Francisco. Unfortunately the one made in the car didn't make the flight, soo I have to mail it to her. I might have to add another surprise to make up for it.

The Gift turned out quite well. I finished the last bit of stuffing and stitching and putting it all together the day before the recipient showed up. It was quite a learning experience, and hopefully the next will go smoother. That adventure will be told when I have pictures to accompany it.

Mike and I had planned on spending New years in SC, but have changed our plans due to his mom having her gall bladder out yesterday. It went well, but tomorrow she has to have a ERCP, which means New Years in the hospital for her. No fun. So we're going to stay until she gets home.

On a sadder note, there have been a couple of families that I have know while growing up that have lost loved ones this holiday season. My heart goes out to the Verdi and Hoehler families - you are in my thoughts and prayers.


LadyLungDoc said...

That colour grouping looks like it is going to work out great!

Happy new year!

katerina said...

Thanks! I'm hoping to get pictures of the actually bunny-bear up soon!