Friday, September 5, 2008

watching the hurricanes...

It's my first time as a Charlestonite Charlestonian Charlestinninian .. living in Charleston during hurricane season and it's so hard to know when to take it seriously.

Hurricane Hannah is on her way tonight, and Mike and I are staying, and just sleeping with one eye open. All the 'natives' say it'll be a bad storm and blow over - although, driving into work this morning, I noticed quite a few shops were closed and traffic was waay lighter than usual.

I guess it's Ike we really have to worry about, but since he's a bit away, it's just wait and see time. Word is I may get out of work early today to head home early, and Mike's leaving his car at school because it's a bit more protected. Living on an actually island makes him worry. We're supposed to evacuate with any Level 1 hurricanes, so it'll be interesting to see how the weekend turns out.

On the knitting front, I'm almost done with another baby sweater - it's a special project for a friend who lost her mom while we were working together, and I have some of her mom's yarn that I'm making it out of. I don't think she reads my blog, but I'm going to wait to post pictures I think until I'm closer to done.

I had run out of the yarn for the project, and was finishing it with another similar color, and then realized I had made the Foliage hat from Knitty out of it! It hadn't quite turned out the way I wanted, so I'm frogging an old project to salvage the yarn to finish a new one. It makes sense to me - I think the yarn was destined to be for her baby's sweater, I just never knew it till now.

No comments: