Monday, July 20, 2009

back in Charleston

I made it back to Charleston from visiting Mike, and only had one little snafu/meltdown along the way. On the trip home, my flight was delayed from NY to Atlanta, and therefore caused my flight to Charleston to be canceled. I was stuck in Atlanta for the night, no luggage (still on the plane to Charleston) missing mike, tired, pregnant and really just wanting to be home.
Between the short trip from the airport to the hotel that night, (in which I managed in my distress to get on the wrong shuttle) I lost my phone. I had left it on one of the shuttles and was devastated. I spent then next few hours trying to track it down and left the next day resigned to the fact that I had lost yet another phone. My late flight home and lack of communication gave me about 20 minutes to change and get back to the office to finish out the day with a round of meetings. The bright light at the end of the day was a voice-mail on my phone from Mike:
"I hope you haven't bought a new phone already, someone called - they found your phone and are sending it back to you"
YEAH!! Wow. My faith in humanity was restored. Turns out, I had been trying the wrong hotel shuttle-buses, and in the meantime, a very kind and responsible attendant at a Comfort Inn, took the time to turn my phone off (to conserve the battery) because she felt it was too late to call when the phone was turned in, wait till morning, look up "home" in my phone and contact Mike to find and address to send the phone to. She shipped it out to me next-day. Wow. You just don't find customer service like that any more. Especially since I didn't even stay at that hotel!!
It's one of those things that really wasn't as bad as it seemed at the time, but I'm very thankful it turned out the way it did.
With my final arrival being on a Monday, it threw my week off a bit, but made it go by a little faster. I spent most of it cleaning and catching up on my rest and laundry. I even managed to post a prego picture of myself :

I feel like I look bigger than I actually am in this picture, but it depends on where the baby is, what time of day it is and what I"m wearing actually.

While in NY, I got to spend a day with my Aunt, Uncle and cousins. It was great to see them, and we realized I hadn't been to the house in over 10 years! They had been out to see us for weddings and other various events, but I hadn't physically been to the house in a long time. It made me feel a bit better to know I wasn't crazy when I drove by the house because they had changed the siding from dark brown shaggy shingles to white aluminum siding... 5 years prior!
Here's a picture of the family - complete with Uncle Ed's 'new hair':

And all the 'girls' tried on the headband I made for Sabrina:

, ,
It was really really good to see them all, and a great way to end my trip to NY.
Now. Just to get Mike home...

1 comment:

Silverstah said...

Aw, yay! I'm so glad the milk fiber is going to another southern spinner! :)

This is Laura of Feeling Sheepish - you won our milk fiber giveaway! Please email me at feelingsheeepish at gmail dot com with your name and address, and I'll get that right out to you! :)