Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Begin at the beginning

...or in the middle, or perhaps at the end. It all depends on how you look at it. I'm beginning a new phase of my life with my hubby M. We're embarking on a journey across the country to Charleston SC. I'm excited. And a bit nervous... and excited... and still nervous, but it'll all work out in the end. Sometimes you have to go somewhere else to find where you need to be, and right now, M needs to be in Charleston - or at least by Aug. 1st. He's going back to school to learn ornamental plastering at The American College for Building Arts. It's an amazing school that teaches you different trades the traditional way. I'm going to follow once the house sells. Anybody wanna buy a house in Home-sweet-Homewood IL? 4 bdrm, 2.5 bath and a great kitchen!!

In the meantime I knit or crochet. It's my crafty habit that keeps my mind from wandering into that room in my brain full of problems that can't be solved. It's a matter of redirecting my thought process to let the brain figure out what it needs to.

Currently I'm crocheting, and working on my first hyperbolic crochet piece. It's pretty cool. The Institute For Figuring is putting together a hyperbolic coral reef out of crochet, and they had a workshop with Margaret Wertheim, and she taught us how to create the hyperbolic forms that look like parts of the Great Barrier Reef. Loopy Yarns had donated some yarn that we were using to learn, and then I added some of my own that I got from Sister Arts Studio. So, mine is part
Lambs Pride ( turquoise ), part Cascade 220 (the brown/green heather) and the fringe is Madil bamboo.

Previously, the Madi bamboo yarn had been fighting with me on what it wanted to be. First I tried a tank top, but the colorway came out looking too much like cammo-gear. Then I was thinking sock, and was in the midst of learning how to make a short row toe-up sock, when I went to the workshop and found that what it really wanted to be was the edging to my hyperbolic coral reef! Sometimes, you just have to listen to the yarn.

1 comment:

Mari said...

Very cool. Are there any pics of the finished Coral Reef? With all the contributions, I mean.